Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?
From: Kevin Daigle <kevin@laol.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 15:36:17 -0500
> > We're getting a little away from the original question, but I find the
> > discussion interesting (since the thought had crossed my mind for my own
> > car).  His earlier SC2 didn't have foglights to begin with.  The later
> > models come with them stock.  Therefore, the later nosepiece on the earlier
> > car leaves 2 empty holes conveniently located by the brakes.
> >
> > This is rather interesting to me - both public and private, I've gotten
> > replies from people saying both "this is entirely legal" and "this is
> > absolutely not legal," and the reasoning on each side is perfectly
> sound. :)
>

>         Getting back on track a bit, substitution of factory bumper with an
>aftermarket (not originally equipped on that model or models of car) one
>is patently not legal. However, the addition of an air dam that has
>openings that you want to use for ducting -is- legal. Provided of course
>that no other illegal modifications are performed to take advantage of
>said openings. If your aftermarket spoiler/air dam instals under the
>factory bumper, and has openings in the front, you can use them for
>whatever purpose you want. If you wish to duct air to the intake of your
>motor from one of these openings, you can. However, you can't cut, bend,
>or otherwise alter the factory body work to get a duct there. Yes,
>intake air can be ducted provided that it fits the rules. Some cars will
>be able to do these things because their layout will allow it, and
>others will be difficult, or even impossible

  This rule is a weeee bit out of date. Lets see cars used to have bumpers
and you bought aftermarket airdam/spoilers which attached below the bumper
on your car. Darn near every car built in the last 10 years has a metal
bumper covered by some sort of plastic nose. Darn near no one makes
airdams/spoilers which attach to these things, all the aftermarket
companies make replacement noses which have the airdam/spoiler built into
it. So if you have an OLD car you can add an airdam and be legal, if you
have a new car you can not. Same thing goes for under-driven pulley's
almost all cars today have an integral pulley-dampener/balancer in their
car, so only people with OLD cars can use an under-driven pulley and be legal.

Kevin Daigle
1997 Jeep Cherokee Country
1995 Plymouth Neon ACR #23 CSP/DSP with TEC-II Power
1987 Shelby CSX # 684