Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?

To: "William Schenker" <schenker@mediaone.net>,
Subject: Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?
From: Eric Moon <info@scca-susq.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 13:36:40 -0400
At 10:00 AM 10/21/99 -0700, William Schenker wrote:
>A question:  have had some damage to my front end (a '99 csp Miata) and had
>the idea of using an alternate front end/appearance kit;  the idea is to get
>one that comes with additional/larger intake holes to run some ducting to my
>air intake:  is this legal in SP?
>
>I looked at sec. 14.2 F and it says that, "Spoilers and cosmetic trim pieces
>are permitted."  Further, it states; "The intent of this allowance is to
>accomodate commonly available appearence kits, and replicas therof..."  The
>kits I'm interested in would not change the shape of the bumper, but would
>
> etc, etc.......

Also:

I know someone who runs a '92 Saturn SC2 (or were they just SCs then?) in
SP.  Among many mods, he's put the front piece from a '95-'96 SC2 on his
car.  Why?  Because the later models have holes molded into them for
foglights, which the older models lack.  He uses them as brake duct inlets
(granted, for autox they won't make that big a difference).  I haven't heard
of him having any problems or protests.  This is not to say that I think
this is definitely 100% legal -

As far as the Saturns front trim goes, that should be legal, falling under
the update/backdate rules for SP.

As for the Miata....I would think that adding a non-factory front piece
that allows more air to hit the air intake goes well above and beyond
"cosmetics and appearance" since it is actually going to enhance
performance by allowing more airflow to the engine compartment.  You aren't
allowed to add any non-factory ductwork in SP, so I would think that this
front nosepiece (Racing Beat, Erebuni Shogun, etc...) would not be
legal---at least, I would protest you if you beat me!!!

Eric Moon
'92 Miata SOLO II  CSP
e-mail:        info@scca-susq.com
home:        (717) 540-1444