Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?

To: Justin Hughes <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Subject: Re: Appearance kits: sp legal?
From: Scott Meyers <solo2@uswest.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 1999 12:37:32 -0700
Justin Hughes wrote:

> We're getting a little away from the original question, but I find the
> discussion interesting (since the thought had crossed my mind for my own
> car).  His earlier SC2 didn't have foglights to begin with.  The later
> models come with them stock.  Therefore, the later nosepiece on the earlier
> car leaves 2 empty holes conveniently located by the brakes.
>
> This is rather interesting to me - both public and private, I've gotten
> replies from people saying both "this is entirely legal" and "this is
> absolutely not legal," and the reasoning on each side is perfectly sound. :)

Welcome to the anal retentive world of SCCA classing and protesting.

The gauge is supposed to be if this is a "competitive advantage" or not.
There are folks out "there" who see anything different as that
competitive advantage, and if you ever beat them *will* protest
you.......probably not locally, but almost certain at a Divisional level
or higher.

If two little holes drilled into rear trunk fabric to allow shock
adjustment (that would simply eliminate the need to pull the material
out of the way) are a "protestable modification", one shudders at the
thought of two open light openings....  :-)

Scott Meyers