Re: BMW M3 Questions

To: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>, "autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: BMW M3 Questions
From: "Chris Teague" <cteague@home.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 18:09:36 -0800
> > 1.  What year is best for autox?  The later cars ('97+, correct?) have a
> > bigger engine with more torque, but I've heard that the earlier,
non-OBDII
> > cars gain more from a cat-back exhaust which helps equalize things.
This
> > is probably a moot point for me since I can't afford a newer one, but
I'm
> > curious.

The 95 Version has the 3.0L.  The 96 on have the 3.2L.  Both are 240Hp,
the 3.2L has 10 or 11 lbs-ft more torque.  Suspension geometry is slightly
different from 96 on.  96 on cars have 7.5" front and 8.5" inch rear wheels.

> > 2.  Also regarding model years, what's the deal on authorized wheel
> > widths?  Can a '95 run 8.5" rear wheels?  I think I heard that they were
> > an option in '95.

The 8.5" wheels came on the lightweight (LTW), which is not allowed in
stock.
I don't know if the 8.5" wheels were an option in 95 or not, however, I
think that is
a moot point.  Front camber is not adjustable.  They are tuned from
the factory to understeer.  The bigger rear wheels cause more understeer.
I have a 97 with 8.5" wheels, and I don't think that is an advantage over
4 7.5" wheels, IMHO.  In SP, you should run 9.0" all the way around.  I have
8.0" on all 4 for my street tires.  I like the same size wheels for the M3
better.
Now if we could just put the 8.5' in front, and the 7.5" in back that MIGHT
be better...  but not legal I guess.

> > 3.  How about the traction control?  What year did that become
available?
> > Can you switch it off?

Not Sure.  My 97 has it, and you can turn it off.  Even in the rain, it is
faster OFF in an AutoX.  With it on, the car is very stable, but slow.
Very nice for the street.

> > 4.  How much does it cost to prep one to the limit for stock class?  I
> > know that wheels, tires, shocks, exhaust, etc. are dang expensive for
> > these cars, but exactly how much?

I use stock wheels.  For street, I have 4 17x8" TSW, probably $1100 worth
or so, but I won them at a BMW Club meeting.  I run Kumho 245/45's which
are $140 each or so.  I have stock exhaust, and don't think aftermarket
would help
my 97 much.  I run Koni sports which are $550-$600 or so, but the double
adjustables a probably a little better, but currently have to be custom made
in the $2400 range.  I am thinking about a dinan adjustable front bar, and
they are about $135 each.

The M3 is a VERY fun street and AutoX car.  I highly recommend one.
I think a 95 is still very comparable to a later year M3.

Chris Teague
97 M3 4 Door.