Re: BMW M3 Questions

To: woodym3@erols.com, James.Burns@jhuapl.edu
Subject: Re: BMW M3 Questions
From: Ghsharp@aol.com
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 13:50:31 EST
In a message dated 11/25/99 10:51:40 AM EST, Woody Hair writes:

> I think the '95 M3 has a higher (mumerically) rear end ratio that
> offsets the additional torque from the added displacement of the '96+
> cars.

Umm, nope, the '95 has a 3.15, the '96+ cars have a 3.25.  In addition to
the obvious (wider rear wheels), the '96 and later M3's have slighter stiffer
rear springs and a larger rear swaybar to take advantage of the wider
wheels and tires.  While they have even less negative camber up front
than the '95's, the later cars have more caster for better steering feel (IMO)
and more camber gain when the front wheels are turned.  The '95 (OBD-I)
cars do respond to exhaust changes and the later OBD-II cars seem not to,
but I believe the additional displacement and shorter rear-axle ratio of the
'96+ cars offsets that.

> Traction control was added in the more recent years, but it can be
> turned off via a console-mounted switch.

Yes, you just have to remember to turn it off each time you re-start the car
in grid.  :->

I think I'm one of the few people who have driven both early and late E36
M3's that were completely set up to A Stock specs.....a '95 owned by a
local autocrosser; Steve Volpp's '95 at the Texas Tour this year; Boris
Elpiner's '97 at the Seattle Pro in '98 and the Wendover Pro this year;
Richard Beecher's '99 at Topeka this year; and my own '98 for the last
two seasons.  Although I've never had the opportunity to drive both early
and late cars on the same course, I firmly believe the differences above
give the '96 and later cars a slight edge for Solo II, and a slight edge is
what we all look for in this sport, right?<g>

All IMHO, of course....
GH Sharp