Re: BMW M3 Questions

To: SunRider <SunRider@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: BMW M3 Questions
From: Andrew_Bettencourt@kingston.com
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 1999 22:40:26 -0800

Couple of differing opinions from my 1997 experience with a 1995 E36 M3:

Wheels:  It has been generally accepted that you can run the 8.5's in the rear
of the 1995 cars as the 'forged wheel' option has been documented.  More details
on that can be had from the Snipester.  Running larger wheels on the rear does
not increase understeer.  Running larger tires with more grip in the rear adds
*percieved* understeer as the car won't break away as soon.  You really haven't
lessened the grip in the front at all, just added in the back.  I ran the 7.5's
on the silver 1995 all around.

Camber:  You can get a little negative camber but really not much to speak of.
The bottom line for me was that the car wore the tires evenly across the tread.
Tire temps were almost perfect.  I think this is one of the reasons BMW's M cars
work so well for solo, the *geometry* of the suspension is what is superior, not
the adjustablility.

Understeer:  Yes my car benefited from shocks...BUT...it was not the
understeering pig everyone claimed it to be with the factory set up.  A smooth
driver can compete at an extremely high level in an E36 with just tires and an
alignment.  Did it at the Atlanta National Tour in 1997.  First event for the
car on old ex-Tunnell tires in the 'wrong' (245/45/17) size.  1st of two
National Tour wins that year - read:  It WAS the car.

Power Output:  I will go to my grave believing the 95 cars with a proven
cat-back are faster than the OBD-II cars.  I used a Borla.  Don't care about the
extra .2 liters, don't care about the extra 11 ft/lb.  The exhaust really freed
up some power.  So much so that I was asked to see my computer at the Pro Finale
in 1997...no problem - bone stock!

The bottom line:  seems as if you can only afford an 95 anyway, I submit is AT
LEAST as good as the new cars.

AB
Andy Bettencourt
Solo II Stock Class Advisory Committee