RE: BMW M3 Questions

To: "'woodym3@erols.com'" <woodym3@erols.com>
Subject: RE: BMW M3 Questions
From: "Burns, James B." <James.Burns@jhuapl.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 1999 15:11:02 -0500
> Hi Brad,
> Tired of the Miata already?

No, I'm enjoying the Miata, and if I hadn't previously owned MR2 Turbos I'd
probably love it.  But I miss a lot of things about the MR2.  It was so
solid, whereas the Miata has a lot of body shake and rattles.  The MR2 had
much better ergonomics, especially the seats which were very supportive and
had adjustable side bolsters, tilt, and adjustable headrests.  The Miata
seats are terrible flat unsupportive things and it doesn't have a tilt
steering wheel.  And of course, going from 200hp w/ 200ft-lbs torque to
140hp with little torque makes the Miata feel pretty slow.  But I'd say the
Miata does handle better and is more forgiving and easier to drive at the
limit, and the Torsen is great, and the steering wheel ('99 Nardi wheel) and
shifter are great, and a true convertible is a lot of fun on a nice day and
a lot easier to use than T-tops.  So I'm having a lot of fun with it.

I've lusted for an E36 M3 ever since they came out, and they're getting
close to where I can afford one.  But I'm still afraid of the cost of
maintenance and repair on a BMW, the cost of performance parts, and the high
insurance rates.  For half the price I could get a really nice MR2 Turbo
which has similar perfomance.  But the M3 is a nice luxurious road car,
awesome track car, and good A-stock autox car, and (unlike the MR2) you can
carry a set of tires or the dog or some friends in the back.  It just seems
to do everything well.

Brad