Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)

To: pfoster@gdi.net
Subject: Re: Stock Classing (was: Marque Clubs)
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 17:22:26 EST
I said:

<<<How many H1, H2, H3 stock classes do you want for cars that don't
 show up?
 Let 'em run HS, so they have a place to play.  Why force them to run
 with  modified cars?  They'll be closer to my HS Civic Si than to your
 modified track car. >>>

Paul responded:
<< Perhaps if they felt they were fairly classed then they would show up???
 But that was where this thread started...  >>

Some years ago, the SCAC tried to come up with J/Stock.  There are so many
variations of these slowpoke cars that we gave up.  You can only make 1 or 2
more cars competitive with each class that you add (or maybe you can only
make 1 or 2 cars "perceived" to be competitive.)  What's the point of a class
where only Pintos and TR4s are competitive?  What about Datsun 1200's and
B210's?  then MGA's and TR3's?  The list is endless...

Me:
 <<<I'll submit that your algorithm is a recipe for losing a lot of
 autocrossers.
  Only the losers will be happy.  Let's piss off the winners and cater to
 the losers.  I prefer the current system which is based on winners in well
 prepared cars, than a system which is based on poor drivers and/or
 poorly  prepared cars. >>>

Paul:

<< That's why I think the process is so political. A select few decide
 which cars are going to be competitive and have a chance at a National
 Championship and which aren't. Most classes have 2 or perhaps 3 good
 cars out of the hundreds listed. I still think you should at least do
 everybody a favor and place asterisks next to those that are expected to
 do well at Nationals so Joe Schmoe in Keokuk can better decide to run
 his Pinto in the hope nobody nearby shows up in a Civic Si.  >>

Which class has hundreds listed?  The competitive process determines what
will win.  The best drivers select the fastest cars, and we have very little
empirical data about the rest.  So far, SCCA doesn't know how to change
that...

CHD