Re: Looking for autocross car

To: Marc Smith <marcs@gdi.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for autocross car
From: Ron Nottingham <nottingham@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 11:54:49 -0500
Marc Smith wrote:
> I am in a dilemma  I need to find a GM car that is an adequate AutoXer.
> But It needs to be Somewhat Family Oriented.  I was thinking of a ford
> Taurus SHO.  But My Uncle (gm Dealer)  wants my business, and as family
> I need to Comply.
>
> So,  my question,  Does GM make a 90-96 family type 4 door car that can
> be moded into a passable autoxer.  I currently Autocross my

Why can't you buy a used SHO from your uncle?  About the only GM cars
that I can think of would be the Grand Prix GTP (forget what the 4-door
was called, too mushy to be a decent axer), the Lumina Z34 (Euro 3.4,
too mushy also), or the Olds Achieva.  Good luck finding any with a
manual 'box, though, I think all the 4-doors came with slushboxes.  The
GM 4-doors of that time period were mostly un-sports like, had decent
engines, automatics, and mushy ride-oriented suspensions.

If you go the SHO route, 89's don't have ABS and have smaller clutches
(tend to wear out faster), 90 to 92's are probably the best to ax with,
since they have ABS and large front and rear sway bars.  The 93 to 95's
have few manuals, mostly autos, and come with a mix of sway bar sizes
(mostly smaller than the 90 to 92's) and tend to be more ride oriented
than the previous Gen 1 SHO's.  The 96 SHO, with the V8 was auto only,
and is even more ride oriented than previous Gens.  89 to 93 SHO's have
small 10" disks all around, the 94 and 95's had better brakes.  If you
want any more SHO info, let me know.

Ron N. - Dalton, GA
90 SHO (black 'n Tan)
84 300zxt ($2001 GRM Challenger)