Re: Looking for autocross car

To: Marc Smith <marcs@gdi.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for autocross car
From: Kevin & Deana Brown <MGTRAutoXr@sprintmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 19:16:55 -0600
Marc,

If you are going to buy a GM car get the Grand Prix GTP (the new model -
1996 and up).  I've got a '98 that I bought new and it now has 48,000 miles
on it - it is a great car for one that you can haul the kids around (my
three kids fit in the back seat) in but still perform well.  The
supercharged engine is great, especially if you leave the transmission in
sport mode.  Both the two door and four door models have the same drive
train, suspension and body profile.  When the new Grand Prix came out in '96
Motor Trend did an extensive comparison test between it the the latest
(which turned out to be the last) V8 SHO and the new four door GTP.  Their
conclusion was that the GTP blew the doors off of the SHO in all of the
acceleration tests, handled just as well, had more features and cost $5,000
less.  Since I bought the car, Hot Rod magazine has done at least 5 articles
on the GTP and that is the only non rear wheel drive or V6 powered car that
they have ever written about.  When you want to accelerate that supercharger
kicks in immediately and you are gone - there is no lag like you have with
turbos.  I've only seen one person autocross there's and it under steered
pretty heavily, but there are a lot of people supplying suspension and
engine performance parts (SLP - Street Legal Performance is one I think).  I
visited the past few Grand Prix Owners Group annual get together at GM's
Fairfax Assembly Plant (in Kansas City KS, where the Grand Prixs are made)
and you see all sorts of modifications.  For street driving, I keep my tires
(the stock ones) pumped up to 35 psi and the handling is pretty good - I can
easily go around a 35 mph corner on I70 at 65 - 70 mph (at 5:30 am when
traffic is light), in fact I regularly blow Camaros etc. off on that
corner.  Don't get the supercharged Buick as someone suggested - the Buicks
suspension is a lot softer than the GTPs.  Also the heads up display on the
Grand Prix is great - it helps prevent me from getting tickets!  Take care.

Kevin Brown  AP (now FP??) '74 TR6, DSP?? '71 MGB, '89 MR2, '54 MG TF, '78
MGB V8, '98 GTP
Odessa, MO