Tweaked sway bar

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tweaked sway bar
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:46:15 -0600
Howdy all y'all.

Any Neon pilots out there ever bent or "tweaked" a factory rear sway bar?

Well, I did.

Yesterday I replaced the stock 16mm rear bar with a 22mm Mopar Performance
sway bar.  (I'm in Street Touring this year.)  When I set the factory sway
bar on the ground the passenger side lever arm was resting a full inch off
the ground while the driver's side arm was flat on the ground.  Whether this
means that the passenger side is bent up or the driver's side is bent down I
can't tell you.

I also don't know if it was bent due to autocrossing in general (which I
doubt), hefting one side of the car up in the air at a time to change 2
tires for the last 2 years of autocrossing (I never left one side up in the
air appreciably longer than the other side) or just plain old fashioned
metal fatigue.  What I can tell you is that it would help explain why the
car tended to oversteer while turning one direction and understeered in the
other direction.

Any thoughts.  Besides "you bonehead".  ;^)

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T
#69 STS    #13 TLS
eric10mm@qni.com