Re: Tweaked sway bar

To: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>,
Subject: Re: Tweaked sway bar
From: "Brian Berryhill" <brianberryhill@flashmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 23:29:06 -0600
> That's not a bug.  It's a feature!  I had serious Winners Circle sway bars
> on the Spridget, and it saved a lot of jacking time for wheel rotations.
> used to rotate the tires after every event.  About two pumps with the
floor
> jack brought both tires on one side up high enough to change.
Considerably
> less than before the sway bars were installed.

Reminds me.. I need to rotate my tires... highway driving on autox setups
wear out tires almost as fast as autoxing does!

> About the alleged tendency to bend the sway bar by jacking the car:  I
have
> a hard time blaming that.  This thread started with the rear bar on a
Neon,
> right?  If the Neon lifts the rear wheel in cornering, and most FWD cars
do,
> there is just about as much strain on the bar in normal autocrossing as in
> jacking to change tires.

I've never a seen a Probe GT with a 12mm bar lift an inside rear tire, but I
have done it many times with my 22mm bar.  Not sure about a Neon.  I bet if
you put a big slab of concrete on the passenger side in the trunk of the
car, it would compress that side more than the driver side so that it bent
the passenger side sway bar arm down and the driver side up.  Then, all you
need is to divert your exhaust so that it leaks out onto the sway bar to
heat it up into its new position!

Brian