Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)
From: "Charles R. Schultz" <n2pua4@peoplepc.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 17:44:50 -0500
The alert tone is of two types, I believe, both a digital one which
tells S.A.M.E. equipped radios where the alert is, what type, and for
how long, and a more-conventional ~1KC audio tone to trigger older or
simpler radios.

The _tone_ only sounds once for each new alert, but all alert _messages_
are repeated on a rotating basis with other weather info until they are
expired.  Therefore, if you miss the actual alert and the weather starts
to look or act funny, you can tune in for 5 minutes or less and hear
everything the NWS has to say about current conditions, forecasts, and
alerts.

The pager or digital phone idea is good, but it's not infallible,
either, depending on others to hand off an alert to you in a timely
fashion.  I sub to an e-mail wx alert source, but I often don't see the
e-mail alert 'til I'm back up from the shelter.  I still think the
weather alert radio is the best source of up-to-date info, especially if
your autox site is not in a "populated area."  I know the guy who did
bulldozer work at my house couldn't use his digital phone in the spring
of last year, and I only live 10 miles from the Interstate (which does
have pretty good coverage.)

BTW, your FRS radio is probably a second-rate weather receiver, because
the antenna is likely designed and optimized to work best at FRS
frequencies (~460 MHz) vs. NWS frequencies (~160MHz)
_while_it_is_in_your_hand_ , which is probably the only way you can
transmit.  A radio designed exclusively for weather radio reception is
the ideal thing to have at the timing table or some other place where
the alert will be heard by the SSS or somebody responsible enough to
determine what response, if any, is needed.

Also, if you are using a S.A.M.E. radio, make sure it will hear alerts
for wherever it is _this_week_ every week.  You might decide to allow it
to pass all alerts, even ones for out of state, as we get, here,
sometimes, because that's better than missing a local alert because
you're at a once-a-year special site in a different part of the state.
It'll still tell you what kind of alert it is, and how much time is left
on the watch or warning.

Oh, yeah, learn and know the difference between a watch and a warning.

Looking at other things to consider, one of those plastic-laminated
state maps they sell at Wal-Mart and other places can be handy when they
start talking about little towns you've never heard of, even if you grew
up there.  Of course, the plastic laminate makes 'em pretty durable.  I
use one of these at home, with a china marker, to track storms as they
approach and pass by.

Enough for now.

Chuck (yes, I really do track storms on my little map, sometimes)
Schultz