Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)

To: johnlee@softdisk.com
Subject: Re: Emergency Weather (Was: Re: Petition to Keep Speedvision)
From: "Arthur Emerson" <vreihen@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 18:41:21
John Lieberman <johnlee@softdisk.com> wrote:

>But you'll only hear it that one time.  The EAS system doesn't repeat
>warnings.

That is a serious issue with the EAS system.  You had better
have a rock-solid signal on your weather alert radio at all
times, or you risk missing the digital alert activation signals.
My Motorola FRS radio with weather alert seems to completely
lose weather frequency reception when it's not in my hand.
Last Sunday was the first time that it ever received a weather
alert message, and even then I had to stand still with my
hand in the air to listen to the verbage.

Another resource available in most populated areas is
web/e-mail/pager alerts of severe weather.  There are services
that will pass along severe weather alerts via e-mail and
pager.  Having just obtained a web-enabled phone last month,
I'll admit to spending the next hour of my 4th of July holiday
setting up this service.
Oh, and yes, John, this will be in the article..... :-)

-Arthur ("Always be prepared" edition.)