women's classes

To: janice@wcsllc.net
Subject: women's classes
From: "Rich Fletcher" <richf@frontier.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2001 11:49:46 -0600
Janice,

Thanks for your inquiry/comments.  One of the reasons Marchell (my wife)
created the women's Pro Solo division was that too many women were left out
of the action years ago.  That, and we were able to get sponsorship first
from Pontiac and then from Honda.  I could argue all of your points, but I
can't argue with your feelings.  Inequities can be found everywhere in sport
whether they be gender based or not.  The women's classification system we
have in place is not now and never has been perfect, but it does allow women
to compare themselves not only to other women, but also to the "open"
classes.  The Women's Pro Solo system was set up to get more women involved.
It has been very successful in that respect.

Most car clubs have separate classes for women so that they feel included
without feeling like cannon fodder when new to this sport. We want the club
to be inclusive and supportive.  If some women find they have the talent,
temperament, or whatever it is that makes them fast, they are free and
welcome to compete with the men rather than continually trouncing their
respecitve women's class.  Even so, I can see how some would have misgivings
about this kind of gender separation, but looking at the big picture It's
hard to flatly state that it's a negative component of our sport.  On the
contrary I think that although flawed, it's a very positive thing.

Rich Fletcher

>Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 07:17:15 -0500
>From: "Janice Sansone Rick" <janice@wcsllc.net>
>Subject: Women Drivers In Solo II

>Why are the classes "Open & "Women's"
>I think that is creating the atmosphere that when a "woman" gets good at
>driving she can go to the real class of the "open" one.  I also have heard
>that when autocross drivers get good they can go road racing.  I disagree with
>both.  This classing system is a slam to the women National Champions!
SNIP