Re: women's classes

To: Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net>,
Subject: Re: women's classes
From: Randall Noll <rnoll98@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 11:10:42 -0700 (PDT)
Unfortunately we don't live in a "purist's" world when it comes to
equality, especially when it comes to a sport that is as male dominated
as auto racing. When was the last time you saw a NASCAR poster with a
Lite Beer logo and three speedo-clad GUYS draped over the car? Never.

It has nothing to do with skill, strength, or ability. The inequity
stems from our gender roles. As a guy I grew up racing R/C cars,
playing with Matchbox cars, and riding BMX bikes. I understood weight
transfer, spring rates, and drifting before I turned 12. I don't think
this is the case for MOST women.

I would imagine that most women are intimidated by autocross because
it's an area that is unfamiliar. If anyone asked me to hold their new
baby I'd be intimidated and afraid i'd drop the thing. Any woman (or
man) who grew up playing with dolls a lot would feel much more
comfortable.

I'm making these gross generalizations not to ask people to poke holes
in them, though there are many, but to give an example of discrepencies
(only becoming inequalities when put in an autox setting) that exist
between how men and women are socialized differently in this country.

To quote a VERY fast woman driver/reporter: "My message to all you
little girls out there, if you're like me, and you too gave your Barbie
dolls super human powers, and you too feel more comfortable racing a
Big Wheel than shopping for clothes, and you too find yourself
practicing endless piano scales and wondering what's the point, do not
fret. Work on your corner exit speed on your Big Wheel. Your dreams
will come true."

I think our classing system works great. If we as a group want to
continue to attract more and more women to the sport, we need a forum
where they can feel comfortable--the Ladies class. If we as a group
want to attract more and more new racers/members, we need a forum where
they can feel comfortable--Novice. If you want to declare yourself the
fastest C-Stock driver in the country, run Open class. If you're a guy
with poor driving skills, ask another guy or girl at an event for help
and be happy that you CAN most likely relate to 95% of the people at
the event, even if it is only on the level that you can both pee
standing up.

Randy
CS MR2

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/