Re: women's classes

To: "fstockracers" <fstockracers@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: women's classes
From: "Patrick Washburn" <washburn@dwave.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 08:38:57 -0500
> No offense, but do you think I want to run against Lynn Rothney-Kozlak at
> big events, so she can whoop my ass.  Honestly, I don't think she would
want
> to run with me or other women.  She has been doing this for a long time
and
> has earned the 'opportunity' to run in the "open" class.  I respect her in
> every meaning of the word.  I hope one day, in years to come I could be
that
> fast and run in the "open" class.

No offense to you, but do you think that *I* want to run against Lynn?  She
can whoop my ass too.  There's no pre-qualification to enter open class,
you can run it even if your not the fastest like us.  So your position is
that you merit special protection from the "good" competition because you
are a women?  Please correct me if I misunderstood.  Sorry but I see this
just as much a gender biased statement as any other derogatory comment
against women.  It's a two way street IMHO.

> I think for the most part women would start getting discouraged and not
run as much or even not at all any more.

So women are more pre-disposed to giving up than men when they get beat?
Is that a genetic thing? :)  Not trying to put words in your mouth, but
trying to understand your logic.

I think in general that one would *not* want this to be thought of as
a "feeder" class.  It seems to me that most of the arguments for keeping
segregated ladies classes revolve around convenience and attraction of new
drivers.  (A popular reason is that the husband and wives do not want to
compete against each other, lest it cause marital strife.) I would prefer
the first poster's suggestion of making "Men" and Women" classes.  This is
an original idea, and would be better for the sport.  I would not exclude
any women from running "Men's" class if they want, but the general feeling
about the split would be better I think.

> Well, maybe, I'll get spam for this....but remember it's
for "opportunity."

No spam, but maybe a little flame  :)  Not trying to pick on you...I'm
somewhat of a purest when it comes to equality, and I just find it
hypocritical when any specific group wants special treatment because they
are " fill in blank here".

> And Howard......don't get any ideas!!   HA HA HA

Howard?  Ideas?   Nahhhhhhh.  :)

Patrick Washburn
C-Tech Trailer Cabinets
Designed for the Racer