Re: Safety statistics

To: <Mdmotorsprt@aol.com>, <aschmiechen@discovercolor.com>,
Subject: Re: Safety statistics
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2001 16:49:50 -0500
There may be a relationship, but not a responsibility on SCCA's or the Solo
II Safety Program's part. We are (mostly) not doctors, and are not
performing physical examinations on all drivers before permitting them to go
out on course.

If someone has a medical incident during competition -- coronary, stroke,
bloodclot, gallstone attack, epileptic fit, insulin reaction, whatever --
that is beyond our responsibility simply because it is beyond the expertise
of the average individual to recognize it and do anything about it before it
happens. As human beings, we would do what we could to help the stricken
individual. As an organizing club, we cannot be held liable for such
incidents. It is not chargeable to the event or against the safety record of
Solo II. (or road racing or rally or wherever it happens).

To hold the event or SCCA responsible for such an fatality would be like
holding your boss responsible if you had a coronary at work, holding the
state responsible if you had it while driving on the turnpike, holding NBC
responsible if you had it while watching NASCAR on TV, holding your wife
responsible if you had it during sex.

No one is "responsible" -- no one caused or permitted this fatality to
happen because of any lack of attention or diligence to event safety. It
just happened. This was not an *accident*, it was a medical emergency. Even
a bad attorney ought to be able to defend that one.

IMHO

--Rocky