New thoughts on an old rule...

To: "'autox'" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: New thoughts on an old rule...
From: "Linnhoff, Eric" <elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 14:17:22 -0600
..regarding the removal, or not, of spare tire covers in Stock, Street
Touring and SP cars.

In a Neon the spare tire cover is held in place with the
same "through" bolt that holds the spare tire in place. Once the
spare tire, jack & tools are removed the cover needs to be replaced
and the "through" bolt used to hold it in place. At least that's the
way we've played it up to now.

Hmmm, this does bring up an interesting point for Stock, ST and SP
Neons though. Rule 13.2.K; "Any item that cannot be held permanently
in place by factory installed fasteners may be removed" requires us
to keep our spare tire covers in the car. Or so we thought.

BUT, 13.2.F states: "Spare tires, tools and jacks may be removed."
Would not one be permitted, under this allowance, to also remove the
loose hardware that held these items in place? That sure seems
reasonable to me and well within the spirit of the rule. If so then
there would be no longer be any hardware to "permanently" hold the
spare tire cover in place thereby making it not "held permanently in
place" and by definition, removable. Right?

So, which rule takes precedence, and why? And yes, I realize that
it's such a non performance-affecting issue that at anything above
the local level I always run with it in place just to be legal.

Eric Linnhoff in KC
1998 Dodge Neon R/T (see-dan)
STS #69 TLS #13
knuckledragger@kcweb.net