Re: New thoughts on an old rule...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New thoughts on an old rule...
From: RTBLUE007@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 00:28:39 EST
In a message dated 12/12/01 3:21:33 PM Eastern Standard Time,
elinnhoff@smmc.saint-lukes.org writes:

<< 13.2.F states: "Spare tires, tools and jacks may be removed."
 Would not one be permitted, under this allowance, to also remove the
 loose hardware that held these items in place? That sure seems
 reasonable to me and well within the spirit of the rule. If so then
 there would be no longer be any hardware to "permanently" hold the
 spare tire cover in place thereby making it not "held permanently in
 place" and by definition, removable. Right?>>

There seems to be twice as many interpretations as there are actual
rules...LOL
Sounds to me like 13.2.F means EXACTLY that: "Spare tires, tools and jacks
may be removed", NOT the fasteners and trim that go along with it. Especially
since it all bolts so neatly back together and poses not threat of busting
loose.
On the other hand, the next gens are able to get away with it. I've taken my
spare tire cover out each time this year without the slightest protest, even
at impound in national tour. The cover is held down with Velcro strips, a
pretty poorly designed attempt at it too! This has busted loose when left
intact at a local event, especially after getting warped during the floods at
Devens.
You think the few ounces will make me faster? Of course it will...LOL
Neither will running without other small trim items, but it's not about the
non-performace issues. It's really all about being fair by creating a level
playing field through Consistency of rules and the Integrity of how they are
worded. Where do you stop with "exceptions" to rules with each
interpretation. ;]

Rich Hagan
2001 Neon ACR
NER/SCCA