Re: Proposed SP suspension rule for 2003

Subject: Re: Proposed SP suspension rule for 2003
From: Ray Benoit <spyder@alumni.clarku.edu>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2002 21:41:09 -0500
Agreed, Gabriel.  That's what it says to me.  But does that mean that negative
roll blocks (spacers between hub and lower control arm), which are specifically
banned elsewhere, would be a legal "shim?"

And does nobody care about Item 10?  Removal of airbags would be banned.  Seems
to be in direct conflict with the "Any steering wheel . . ." allowance.  Mr.
Duncan has suggested adding words to exempt those who have swapped wheels, but I
would be concerned also about requiring 'bags when OEM belts and/or seats have
been replaced with safety harness and aftermarket seats.  They are designed to
all work together aren't they?  And if you use your harness on the street, an
airbag is nothing more than a safety hazard.

Also, many SP cars have a few years on them (mine is a '91) and does anyone want
to guess at the long term stability of these explosive devices?  A co-worked of
mine lost 6 months of her life recovering from the results of a spontaneous
deployment of a 'bag of the same vintage as mine.

Uncle Ray