Re: SCCA Membership - 18% increase

To: "team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SCCA Membership - 18% increase
From: Andrew Schmiechen <aschmiechen@discovercolor.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 11:17:24 -0600
Yes, entry fees went up $5 to cover costs, which also brings us inline with
the other local clubs (SCCA and another independent).  If insurance goes up
20% is the club supposed to eat that?  However, we aren't talking about
entry fees, rather what it costs to join the club and the benefits received
by being a member.  I'm not concerned at all about what the region charges
for an entry fee and wouldn't complain if they increased it to cover their
costs.

Join our club for $40 and you'll you can receive over $100 in discounts if
you attend all the events, plus the other things I mentioned.  Join the
SCCA, attend all the events, and you're still $10 in the whole assuming you
don't buy a rule book every year.  Again, the SCCA isn't a charity, so
what's the benefit to me, and every other local competitor, as a member?

I think the SCCA could do a lot more for its membership than it does.
65,000 members is a big sword to wield, and they should be able to attract
some good sponsors that actually give benefits to its members. I don't need
to make up my membership fee in event discounts, but I need to get more out
of it than we do now.

Am I missing some other benefit of being a member?  If so, point me to it
and convince me otherwise.  I want to remain an SCCA member, but membership
has to hold some value.

Oh...and I can see myself getting flamed soon, with people telling me to
just not renew if I'm not happy.  So here's my pre-flame response, I'm the
kind of person you want in the club...I work hard as a volunteer, I'm on the
board of directors, the local autocross chair, web master for three club
sites, instruct at local events, corner work wheel to wheel events, and
occasionally help steward our high speed time trials.  If I'm not the kind
of person you want in your club.  That's cool, then I've got more free time.

-A.