Re: SCCA Membership - 18% increase

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>, "team.net"
Subject: Re: SCCA Membership - 18% increase
From: Andrew Schmiechen <aschmiechen@discovercolor.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 10:27:03 -0600
Ummm...yes!  I receive a full printed rulebook at NO CHARGE (mailed to me
without asking), plus it's posted online, and it's only 34 pages long!  The
rules/classing are member driven by feedback to the autocross committee.
Yes, there is a dispute process, but our rules are so much easier than the
SCCA Solo rules.  The club also provides liability insurance at events
ranging from $1-3 million depending on the venue.

<http://www.madisonautocross.com/rules.lasso>

Oh...and I get my club newsletter with the cover attached.

Don't get me wrong, there's negatives to my local club as well, but...

Ten dollars isn't a burden and probably won't be for most people.  To me,
the issue is that there is no benefit to being a member at the price that
membership has grown to.  Maybe if there were usable club discounts from
sponsors this would change, but who in their right mind uses Fram products?
Or drives on Hankook tires?

The SCCA is a club, not a charity.  And membership is to have its
privileges.  With the majority of members being Soloists (is that the right
term?), where our the benefits for us?

-A.