Re: Prepared Miata reclassing thoughts

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prepared Miata reclassing thoughts
From: "Dave Whitworth" <dave@wcsllc.net>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 21:20:17 -0500
Just interjecting an opinion, a datapoint and another opinion....not picking
on anyone....

> Charlie, maybe you didn't see my other note.  The only reason the time
> difference was so low was that the 2nd place AP car (Platt) coned all of
his
> runs on the one day.  Add back in the two-second penalty and you get a 1.8
> differential between him and the DP Miata.

IMO, you have to compare apples to apples....either you use the actual
winning times/differences from BOTH classes, or you factor in the cones on
the DP winning times (on the first two runs), and the probable conservative
third run into your what if scenario...either way has it's pluses and
minuses but you should use the same method for both.

>>>Sure, you can get wheels for $1000.  But they probably aren't
> the lightest and strongest you can buy within reason.

Real racing wheels are $225 each for 15# 16x10's....looks like a 15x7 is
$184 for 12#...If us "Drunken CP Idiots" (tm 2002 Jeff Winchell) are not
tearing them up, they would appear to be strong enough for the average
Miatae :)  And I don't know how much lighter you'll find either...

I can't argue with the $2500 fuel injection cost....as a matter of fact, If
the base system is $2300, I doubt the dyno time would be less than $200....

Like I said, no flame intended.....

DaveW