Re: Tire Warming

To: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Tire Warming
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Nov 2002 01:33:18 -0600
----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 7:36 PM

> Okay already.
>
> If there is a worry about warm tires on the grid equip a Saftey Steward
> with an infra-red pyrometer. If you're late to the grid they will check
> the temp of your tires. As long as your's are withing 20 degrees of your
> grid-mates not problem, if higher than that 2-second penalty on the
> first run.
>
> I say a Safety Steward as keeping people from running around on public
> streets is a saftey issue.

Not if you are driving at legal speeds in a street-legal car. Even if the
whole grid is out there doing it, that's what's called "traffic." It's also
off site and so unregulated by SCCA (but could be regulated by "other
authorities" :-)

Which raises a question. In my slick-tired Prepared car, I would probably
get more benefit from a run to the Quik Shop than someone on Stock- or
SP-legal rubber ... except my car is not street-legal. Do the Stock guys,
even on gumballs, really get that much from a drive out on "J" street at 30
mph and no hot-rodding the corners? Could we do a rule like rally sometimes
does -- get a moving violation ticket (in your competition car) and you are
DQ?

OTOH, your pyrometer solution may be inspired!

--Rocky