Re: Tire Warming

To: Eric Salem <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Subject: Re: Tire Warming
From: John Lieberman <jlieberman@sport.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 19:24:16 -0600
Not HARDLY the responsibility of the Safety Stewards, Eric!

OUR responsibility is to make sure that the event is as safe as we can
possibly make it for any spectators who might happen to show up or for
our competitors and crew when they're watching the action - that the
course workers are in as safe a position as possible - and that the
course, itself, is as safe as it can be for the competitors.

What the competitors do when they're off-site is NOT our responsibility.
  It's the responsibility of the event chairman and the RE.  If they're
doing something on-site that jeopardizes the safety of the event, THEN
it becomes our responsibility.  Tire warming hardly falls into that
category unless they're doing something really stupid on-site to warm
their tires.  THEN we SHOULD get involved.

Event safety is serious business.  Please don't try to add BS to the
Solo Safety Steward's responsibilities.

If you meant your comments to be tongue-in-cheek, then I apologize for
the flame.  However, I think this is important information that
EVERYBODY needs to know and I thank you for raising the issue.

John (Old Fartz & TLS #37) Lieberman
SOWDIV Solo II Safety Steward
Member, National Solo Safety Committee
Editor, The Safety Belt