Re: Tire Warming

To: "Bob Klingler" <bklingler@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: Tire Warming
From: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 23:19:10 -0500
At 04:25 PM 11/4/2002 -0700, Bob Klingler wrote:
>Rocky,
>
>     OK, now that you have had you chance to make fun, try thinking about the
>idea seriously. <G>
>No air supply or pit crew is required; no more tools than we use now; two
>people can easily do the job in 5-minutes without rushing.  In a heat of
>40-50 cars, you would normally have 10-minutes or so between the two
>drivers, running in a normal rotation.  You've just got to ask yourself if
>we really important to level the playing field, or not.  If so, this is a
>"solution" which does not cause a grid problem.  No longer do the two
>drivers need to rush to adjust tire pressure and get #2 back out quickly,
>because there is no longer an advantage in doing so.  And the work
>assignment in grid gets easier, not more difficult.  The five-minute rule
>becomes only important for reruns.
>
>BK

Bob,

Great idea . . . at least from the perspective of a "confirmed single
driver car" person:-)

Not only would it resolve the cold tire or hot tire problem, it would keep
the two drivers "worn out" from all that tire changing. Make the rule that
the drivers of the car have to do all the tire changing work themselves.

Also those pesky two driver folk would need two sets of fresh tires for
major events and, if they don't have enough wheel sets they will need to
buy more wheels. That should help equalize the cost advantage they might
have . . . and help fill up their tow vehicles or trailers. Should help
keep Hoosier Tom from going broke too.

No, I don't have any expectation that this idea will ever get implemented .
. . or even that it "should".

Dick Rasmussen
CM 85
85 Van Diemen FF