RE: Race car or street car?

To: "Andrew Murphy" <solex67@hotmail.com>
Subject: RE: Race car or street car?
From: "Brian Hollands" <bholland@hayes.ds.adp.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2002 14:57:23 -0500
I haven't done it myself yet but as far as I know setting up the ring and
pinion is the same regardless of what type of diff is being used (LSD, Open,
or welded - assuming we're talking about Nissan H-190 components).  The
pinion depth has to be set with shims.  That controls the contact pattern of
the gear teeth and has to be done any time you're putting in (or
reinstalling) a pinion gear.  Some of the ring gears also require a spacer
to get them positioned properly on the differential unit.
If what you're talking about is finding a LSD that is already installed in a
3rd member with a 3.90 ring and pinion then yes that would be the easiest
thing to install.  It is also likely the hardest thing to find.  I have only
rarely seen the H-190 limited slips come up for sale used.  They are
expensive ($780 from Nismo) new if they are really still available.  Often
they do come up for sale as the diff unit only, not installed in a 3rd
member.  I just plain lucked out when I found mine.  I was actually looking
for an RX7 GSL-SE rear axle (4.08 LSD w/ disc brakes) to see if it could be
swapped out for the Roadsters rear axle.  The last one I saw other than the
one I bought was on the dime quarterly for $600 pounds sterling ($900?).  It
was as I recall a new Quaife unit though.  Seems you either need to have a
lot of cash, a very good friend, or some dumb luck to get hold of one.
As far as the gear ratios themselves are concerned, I'm sure that there's
someone on the list who has a 3.90 in their 2000.  How does it compare to
the 3.70?  Seemed to me that it's that much of change.  The 4.11 however
would be quite noticeable.

Brian '69 2000
Tampa, FL
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/oilleak/