Re: datsunparts.com Dashes

To: "Marc Sayer" <marc@gracieland.org>, <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: datsunparts.com Dashes
From: "datsunmike" <datsunmike@nyc.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 09:55:00 -0500
Marc,

While I always listen and appreciate the knowledge given and offered by you,
in this instance I don't agree with your comments.

I don't think Steve is being Dean's shill. I don't think anyone can be a
shill w/o their consent. Steve did type up the post and did it as a favor
for those who didn't know of an aftermarket dash cover for their low
windshield cars.

I have known Dean since the late mid 80s when he first started his business
after 2 vendors I used to use went out of business - Rising Sun (when
operated by Pam and Scott Scheeler) and the Roadster Store in NJ. I stick
with those people who have always been there to help me out and who are
easily acessable and don't make it difficult to order parts. I try to be
loyal, rightfully or wrongly.

Yes, I had some differences with him about his attitude in later years but
after I and another Roadster owner brow beat him this past May (and me
several times before that), I noticed an attitude change. I am never one to
couch my opinions and being a NYer I am in your face telling you exactly how
and what I feel. Dean is also a NYer. I've argued with him several times. I
have partied with Dean many times whenever he comes back to visit NY and I
can vouch that he really cares about these cars and keeping them on the
road, as I am sure do many of the vendors. To him it's not all about the
money.

Dean is a perfectionist and sometimes gets upset at the foolishness
displayed by some Roadster owners. What do I mean? Someone ordering visual
enhancements while ignoring safety issues such as front ends, brakes and
other maintainence necessary to keep their cars running correctly. I know of
1 owner who is like that; always concentrating on visuals while ignoring the
important things. I am sure we all know someone like that.

Why the vendors don't get along I don't know (I do know some of the reasons
but I'll leave it at that).

When I asked him very recently about why he wasn't on the List (or even have
email) he told me he didn't want to hawk his products or give the impression
he was doing so. He also said he didn't have the time to respond to all the
emails he would receive.

Be it as it may, Dean does have products no other vendor sells and paid for
the tooling costs in the thought that NLA products may be needed by some of
us. He's right.

While you have the right to feel as you do, I really think you're being way
too harsh, especially on Steve. I feel you owe him an apology.

Mike