RE: Modern Stereo for 67.5 Roadster

To: <SCOTT.ELEQUIN@oracle.com>,
Subject: RE: Modern Stereo for 67.5 Roadster
From: "Tom Hendricksen" <tom@fransfancies.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2003 22:02:10 -0700
Scott,

I can point you towards part of your quest, but I am not sure you can meet
all of it.

Unfortunately for roadster owners, and fortunately for modern car owners,
the autosound industry has standardized on a front panel/chassis width of
183 mm.  That is 7.2" in US terminology (yeah I know, we are supposed to be
on the metric standard, but...).

No retailer I have found sells the narrower radios that can be used to add
FM or tape players anymore.  Forget a CD, it may never play in a stiff
riding car.  I needed a replacement radio for my vertical 69 console, which
won't hold a 7" radio, and finally gave up and went to eBay.  I found a new
AM/FM/tape radio to fit into my already butchered parts car console.  It is
not the quality I would like, but the faceplate was larger than the existing
butcher job and I was able to make it fit nicely.  I may look for a better
radio some day, but then I will need to fill the gap, or find another
butchered or delapidated center console to modify and refinish.

My suggestion is to ask around for a radio console that is already modified
that you can refinish, and purchase a radio you want.  I think your console
will take a 7" wide radio  Do whatever trimming you need to to install the
radio in the console and refinish as needed.  Keep your original console on
the shelf with the radio.  The big worry of course will be room behind the
console to clear the heater.

Tom
69 2000 "Mr. Hyde"
Portland, Oregon