fot

[Fot] Has anybody ran these new brake calipers?

Subject: [Fot] Has anybody ran these new brake calipers?
From: william.tobin31 at verizon.net (Bill Tobin)
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2018 09:06:51 -0500
References: <CACZdCPXM-BEj2p2-P8d+acF+_hzNYN=RqGNmcHdu2y9k=p7FCg@mail.gmail.com> <5D3AFB4D-C6F8-490A-8208-12C4A604FA08@me.com> <CACZdCPVXF1T3pf3-qkioDquO2we8P-6-vdRoT471ZdWMq5J48w@mail.gmail.com> <496193370.404774.1520483083250@connect.xfinity.com> <ecca85f62de80b5889e447f64735f075@tr4racer.com> <1322324899.177432.1520525397543@connect.xfinity.com> <39824744-DEB7-48F7-94BA-343E99425A24@me.com> <1346618642.364769.1520526467307@connect.xfinity.com> <00b501d3b702$8aed9540$a0c8bfc0$@gmail.com> <141E5239-4C18-4225-AE0E-BFE10DB690DC@att.net> <CAMJWJcGaN_PTNjed3Hzaqs6vO23P72VsUFxmLgvthgLPQqOW1w@mail.gmail.com> <8B196567-7CEA-420C-9D89-7CAE21DE320E@aol.com>
Bill, if all the cheaters in vintage were black flagged, half the field
wouldn't finish! Cheaters is a harsh word; non-compliant sounds better.
I know of guys with mid-50's Corvettes, and one T Bird, who run big disc
brakes, not the original drums. One of whom runs a vintage organization!!!!!!
Also, I like Tony but a 9 inch Ford diff in a TR4? All vintage rules say the
diff housing has to be stock.
I also like Sam, who's given me a lot of advice over the years, but is his car
truely vintage legal? Frankly, I don't care.
This will probably get me blackballed, but....
I also don't give a hoot what you run or how legal it is or isn't. Just go out
and have fun.
I've gotten 1 (one) medal in 11 years of vintage racing; not a very successful
effort, you might say. (so would I!). But I've had an 'effen blast! And met a
bunch of great people. And did what I set out to do.

OK, I wrote this last night and thought I'd sleep on it. After reading the
comment about Formula Libra, I guess other people feel as I do.
Were all the cars running today raced "back in the day" or were they built to
go vintage racing today?
Ever see a tech inspector crawl under your car and check to see if the drain
plugs were safety wired? Or check brakes or diffs?
Full disclosure: I run a Celica 5 speed, legal according to the rules. Hitachi
carbs (the Japs took SU's and improved them).
I don't like cheaters. I help with the Erie Marathon where 43% or our finishers
qualified for the Boston Marathon, the goal of every good runner. The last
couple years we ferreted out 3 cheaters. They will never, ever be allowed into
the Boston Marathon. That's why I like running, kind of a pure sport where
technology doesn't help you much.
OK, end of rant.
Hang loose. (I'm reading Brian Wilson's book, so I thought a surfing term would
be ok!)
Bill