fot

[Fot] Has anybody ran these new brake calipers?

Subject: [Fot] Has anybody ran these new brake calipers?
From: tony at tonydrews.com (Tony Drews)
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2018 01:18:57 -0600
References: <CACZdCPXM-BEj2p2-P8d+acF+_hzNYN=RqGNmcHdu2y9k=p7FCg@mail.gmail.com> <5D3AFB4D-C6F8-490A-8208-12C4A604FA08@me.com> <CACZdCPVXF1T3pf3-qkioDquO2we8P-6-vdRoT471ZdWMq5J48w@mail.gmail.com> <496193370.404774.1520483083250@connect.xfinity.com> <ecca85f62de80b5889e447f64735f075@tr4racer.com> <1322324899.177432.1520525397543@connect.xfinity.com> <39824744-DEB7-48F7-94BA-343E99425A24@me.com> <1346618642.364769.1520526467307@connect.xfinity.com> <00b501d3b702$8aed9540$a0c8bfc0$@gmail.com> <141E5239-4C18-4225-AE0E-BFE10DB690DC@att.net> <CAMJWJcGaN_PTNjed3Hzaqs6vO23P72VsUFxmLgvthgLPQqOW1w@mail.gmail.com> <8B196567-7CEA-420C-9D89-7CAE21DE320E@aol.com> <8E35FFEE24954CEFBA469BBAC928A878@hpd530>
Bill, I've really tried, but I can't help but respond to being called
out in this one.? I know you said it doesn't matter to you, lets just
race - and that's my feeling too.

Not sure how a brake question turned into the annual "what is vintage"
debate - seems late in the season for it this time...

But...? For the record, it's a Ford 8" rear end, not a 9". Remember when
we used to break axles and roll our cars?? I do, very vividly.? The
memory of the pavement whizzing by my left ear as I was sliding on the
drivers door before the car started to barrel roll is indelibly printed
in my memory.? Before the "southwick" axle conversion (which uses Ford
8" rear axle axles by the way), the fix for this was to put a Ford 8" or
a Dana rear axle in the car instead of the stock unit.? It was a SAFETY
change, not a performance improvement.? That's what the prior owner did
to my car - put in a Ford 8" so it wouldn't roll.? It weighs more than a
Triumph axle, and has roughly the same ratios available as a Triumph
unit.? To switch to a Triumph axle would cost enough I'd need to take at
least half a season off of racing, probably a full season.? Afterwards,
my car would be FASTER because it would weigh LESS.? Is the Ford axle
legal?? Probably not, now that the Southwick conversion is accepted by
every vintage organization in the US for safety reasons.? Is it worth
taking a year off of racing to put the "correct" part there?? I say -
no, lets race instead.

A strict reading of the axle housing must be stock rule would also
prohibit the Southwick conversion and we're back to the cars destroying
themselves.? That seems counterproductive to me, but I'm not a purist.? :)

Billet cranks?? Carillo rods?? I don't think the '62 GCR allowed those.?
Certainly not allowed when we ran SCCA in the early 70's. Many of us run
those now because the stock stuff breaks and saws your engine in half.?
However, THOSE DO provide a possible performance advantage over a strict
reading of the rules because we can run higher RPM's semi-reliably.?
Good stock stuff is hard to come by and we do what we have to in order
to keep our awesome VINTAGE Triumph's on the track - I figure that's
most of our justification for those parts.

Uncle jack's car (Dad) was extremely legal, and when we raced each other
our cars were virtually identical in performance.? So if I'm cheating to
be faster I must be doing a bad job of it.

To me, parts substitution that keeps our cars running is in a very gray
area that some consider "cheating" and others consider "just keeping it
running".? The trans replacement falls under that category.? I'm aware
of one vintage organization that's taken a hard line on transmissions -
Bill, yours would be illegal there. And as a result guys running GT-6's
are pretty much screwed.? I don't know why the organization would rather
see a competitor replace a tranny every race weekend rather than have
them out on the track competing.

I'm just glad that I get to do this as often as I can afford, and get to
hang with a bunch of really neat people.

I could write another book on front brakes (the original topic), one on
various engine parts, carburetors, transmissions.? I already wrote the
one on axles (above).

I'd rather folks not be terribly nit-picky about this stuff and just
appreciate the fact that we can muster up enough Triumphs at an event
that the organizers WANT us there and will give us a race to ourselves.

Regards, Tony Drews