Re: running Hot

To: Leonard Berkowitz <drberkowitz@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: running Hot
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 12:24:04 +0800
Leonard -

Electric fans rarely, if ever, help reduce the heat in a 6 cyl.
healey.  The problem lies in the fact that the radiator is just a hair
small for the engine, so if you install an electric fan, it reduces
the cooling area on the radiator because the big pancake motor on the
electric fan blocks approximately 20% of the surface area of the
radiator itself.

You can improve the cooling using an electric fan by moving it as far
forward & away from the radiator as possible, this will lessen the
effects of blockage due to the pancake motor.

Other options include getting an electric fan for E-types which use a
lower profile electric motor.

easier fixes include flushing your motor and replacing the radiator
core with a high efficiency core (excel core, for example).  This can
be done at your local radiator shop.

Regards,

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8