Re: Air Leak

To: blprince2@comcast.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Air Leak
From: Awgertoo@aol.com
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:59:30 EST
In a message dated 11/18/2005 2:26:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
blprince2@comcast.net writes:
When the top (hood) is up on my BN1, apparently there is a gap between the
windshield and the top (hood).  Air blows over the upper edge of the
windshield and into the cabin.  On a rainy day, water comes through.  What do
you experts do to seal between the windshield and the top (hood)?  I have
tried adding foam weather-stripping, but it doesn't help much.

The wood bow on the top (hood) that runs across the windshield does not seem
to be pulled down sufficiently in the center.  It looks like a center latch
might help.
Ben--

I had the same problem with the bow on my car--one summer it warped and no
amount of weatherstripping would seal the leak.

I devised an (I think) ingenious solution that probably takes longer to
describe than it took to build. It involves going to your local West Marine
Store
and making your way to the do-it-yourself rigging department where they sell
stainless 1x19 wire in various diameters and terminals to fit that you swedge
on
with tools that they will provide you at their bench.

You will want to use the smallest wire that they sell--probably 1/8"
diameter, a forked terminal on one end and a threaded stud on the other.

1.  Measure the distance between the bottom hole on the center triangular
chrome "header rail retainer" (the hole that the rubber buffer sits in) and the
top of your scuttle just in front of your rear view mirror.

2.  Now here's the tough part: Drill a small hole (probably 1/4" will do
through your scuttle just in front of the rear view mirror.  I know this will
sting but only for a minute.

3.  Cut the appropriate length of 1x19 wire, measuring from hole to hole
DEDUCTING the length for the forked terminal that will attach to the retainer
on
the top bow (using a small clevis pin) and also DEDUCTING the length of the
threaded terminal that will go through the scuttle and ADDING about 2" to allow
for the terminal to project down through the scuttle, allowiing you to put
either a wing nut or knurled nut onto the end of the terminal from under and
behind the dash.

4.  Now simply erect your top in the normal manner and after you have
fastened the standard clamps pass the end of the threaded terminal through the
hole
that you drilled in step 2, then reach under the dash and with your wing or
knurled nut just tighten that sucker down against the windshield and say
goodbye
to air and water leaks.

FWIW no one has every noticed the wire from outside the car and from inside
it is entirely unobtrusive visually.  I think the rig provides additional
stabity to the windshield/scuttle and will eliminate mirror vibration, etc.  If
the
hole bothers you when the top is stowed you can buy a nice chrome plug for it
that you can fasten from the underside.

I'd be happy to send you some photos offlist if you cannot visualize the
concept.

Best--Michael Oritt, 100 Le Mans