Re: Air Leak

To: Ben Prince <blprince2@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Air Leak
From: Blue One Hundred <healey.nut@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:16:04 +0800
Ben -

The problem with the BN1/BN2 is there is no lip on the inside frame of the
front top bow of the convertible top (the part that sits on top of the
widnshield). Without this, the top rarely, if ever, will seat properly on
the windshield frame. There are supposed to be a couple of chromed triangles
that are supposed to do this on the BN1 & BN2, but usually there is so much
force on these, that they break off, or sometimes are just missing.

An easy solution is to go to the hardware store and get a 3 foot (or maybe a
little longer) piece of 1-1/2" aluminum strip, and then screw this on to the
inside edge of the front top bow of the convertible frame, with about 1/2"
protruding down from the bottom of the front top bow. This 1/2" edge will
counteract the force of the windshield-top latches, and force the bow to
mate with the windshield frame securely and firmly. Be sure to cover the
aluminum strip with interior vinyl trim so that it won't scratch the chrome
on you windshield frame. With camperseal/weatherstrip on the channel of the
top bow, you won't get any leaking even in the worst rain, and the whole set
up will look original on your BN1. This is the only way to set up your BN1.

Good Luck!

Alan

'53 BN1 '64 BJ8