Re: overheated engine

To: cookie-monster@home.com
Subject: Re: overheated engine
From: P86turismo@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 17:49:57 EDT
In a message dated 5/26/99 5:40:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
cookie-monster@home.com writes:

<< What is your opinion on rebuilding after overheating.
 The guy at the shop seems to think it is a BAD idea. >>

I wouldn't be able to say without looking at the engine.  There's a good
chance the block is warped or the cylinder walls are scored.  Do you know if
you spun a bearing?  the reason I ask is that the engine I'm replacing had
spun one main bearing.  To keep from voiding the warranty on my turbo, I am
required to buy new turbo lines.  I wondered why, until I sprayed carb
cleaner through one - so much swarf and bearing material came out, it was
amazing.

Maybe the shop can get all that metal out of your block and associated
passages.  Maybe not.

Speaking of passages, there's the distinct possibility that your internal
waterways in the block have cracked, which could lead to oil in your water,
or vice versa.

Not only that, look at the amount of money you'll probably spend:  new or
even good used parts aren't that cheap - a new head will run you about $500
alone.  I still think you can get a rebuild or used engine for a better price
than $2k, but I wouldn't rebuild the one you've got.

If originality is your focus, you can probably find an engine from the same
year car and swap the engine ID plates.  There are plenty of MG engines out
there, shop around a little before you dive into a new one.

Mike Lishego

1974 MGB (No alternator yet?)
1986 Plymouth Turismo (Will work for new motor mounts)