poor start

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: poor start
From: "BJ Martin" <bj_martin@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 06:45:12 PST
My '77 spitfire has gotten so it won't start if it sits for much over a
week. It cranks but not for very long as the battery is clearly low.
When jump started, it starts readily. The battery is 4-5 years old and
may not hold a charge anymore. This weekend, I'm planning to check the
voltage while running (but I'm pretty confident that the alternator is
generating a good charge). I'm pretty sure the battery is gone but is
there an easy way to check to see if I have a short that is draining the
battery between drives? (please respond in simple terms as I'm an
electrical idiot but I do have a multimeter) thanks, brent