Re: poor start

To: Spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: poor start
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 18:46:05 -0500
At 06:45 AM 11/12/98 PST, "BJ Martin" wrote:

>My '77 spitfire has gotten so it won't start if it sits for much over a
>week. It cranks but not for very long as the battery is clearly low.
>When jump started, it starts readily.....

If you battery is 4-5 yrs old, I'd start by replacing it.  No questions!!!
If it isn't really dying yet, it will tomorrow, nor next week.  Probably
at the most inopertune time.  I don't remember the last time I got 4 yrs
to a battery.

Next Michaels responce:

>I located a light staying on in my trunk by disconnecting the ground from the
>battery with the key out of ignition and all known electicals off.  I used my
>multimeter and bridged the ground on the battery to the cable.  If you see a
>current,  then there's a leak somewhere.  If there's no leak,  the needle
>shouldn't move above zero.

is the best method.  However, you say you don't have a volt meter.

Well, 1st - go spend $30 and get a new battery,  Then start saving you money
and then go to Radio Shack and spend about another $20-$30 and get a decient
multimeter.  I've got an R.S. meter that I use around the house for
everything.
It's only about 25 yrs old.  I also have a smaller on in my Tool box for
automotive work.  Then I have a couple more for my electronics work bench.

You really need a multimeter.

John

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi