RE: rubber

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: rubber
From: "Mostrom, Paul" <Mostrom.Paul@principal.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 16:08:24 -0600
Atwell,

Although this might offend the LBC purists out there, use of a cast alloy
valve cover will solve that one particular leak.  Use RTV (silicon rubber) as
the gasket/sealant.  My 1500 has been dry on the upper part of the motor since
installing one.  My brother gave me the suggestion after he had installed one
on his '79 MG Midget, (which has the Spit 1500 motor).  I bought mine from
Spitbits for $68 (U.S.).  They send along chrome cap nuts with the cover, but
I couldn't use them because the studs on my 1500 did not extend though the
cover.  I had to drill the holes a little bigger and buff up the stock screws
and use those.  Hey, it looks great and no leaks after several thousand miles!
Now if I could only get the rest of the engine to quit leaking!

Thanks,
Paul Mostrom
'77 Spitfire 1500

'Black holes, where God divided by zero......'