Re: Clutch Bleeding -Reply

To: KEVIN EDDINS <eddinsk@NRISO.NOLA.NAVY.MIL>, GatesDavid@aol.com,
Subject: Re: Clutch Bleeding -Reply
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 1999 10:56:06 -0500
At 07:00 AM 1/21/99 -0600, KEVIN EDDINS wrote: [re bench-bleeding]

>I think that bench bleeding is just for the dual cylinder master cylinders.

Kevin and Dave,

When I rebuilt my clutch hydraulics I did not bench-bleed the cylinders.

I did have a 'soft' clutch pedal, however, until I took the front of the
car off the jack stands and re-bled.   Apparently I had some air caught in
the slave cylinder, and it came out when the bleed nipple was the at
highest point.  (That's why the slave's bleed nipple is on top even though
it would be easier to reach if it were on the bottom!)

PS, one thing I have not seen mentioned in the brake bleeding threads
recently ,is that you are NEVER supposed to re-use brake fluid after it has
been pumped through the system, as with repeated bleeding.  (I know the
temptation is there when you just need 'a little more'.)

Is everyone following this rule?

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO

Succasunna, NJ USA

"It's not the destination that counts, it's the journey."
Drive a Spitfire!