Re: Spit wiper motor ??

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Spit wiper motor ??
From: Dave Mack <davemack@rhiwderin.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 04 Apr 1999 03:48:48 +0100
John T. Blair wrote:
> I am having
> problems with my wiper motor.  It runs quite slowly and the wipers only
> move across about 1/2 the windshield.  When they park they park in the
> middle of the windshield instead of retracting down to the bottom of the
> windshield.

I have had a similar experience to this John. The 'output' from the
motor is by a drive cable which is within a flexible outer cable. Both
ends of this outer cable have to be firmly clamped in place. The one
end, obviously, fixes to the wiper motor body, and the other hidden end
fixes to a clamp behind the bulkhead (accessable from behind the
dashboard). If this hidden end of the cable comes loose from it's fixing
clamp (eg because the securing screws have vibrated loose) then it can
give the symptoms you describe. If this is the case you will probably
see the wiper motor moving about on its mounting as it runs. The
solution is simply to  re fix the outer cable in place, although thin
fingers and patience are required to reach the clamp!

--
Dave Mack

http://www.rhiwderin.demon.co.uk

"Be it ever so humble..."