Re: Spit wiper motor ??

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: Spit wiper motor ??
From: Kris & Randy Croft <rkcroft@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 14:52:11 -0600

> My question is, does the newer type have a part switch?  How do you
> control the position of the wiper when the motor is parked?  I am having
> problems with my wiper motor.  It runs quite slowly and the wipers only
> move across about 1/2 the windshield.  When they park they park in the
> middle of the windshield instead of retracting down to the bottom of the
> windshield.
>
> Before I start just tearing into things half cocked, I'm looking for any
> experience the group has in this matter.
>
> TIA
>
> John
>
> John

I had this same problem. What I found was the shaft bushings in the wiper
motor had worn so bad that the shaft would move laterally and disengage
the shaft mounted worm gear from the drive gear in the housing.  The
park switch I think is mounted external to the assembly . When the
dash mounted switch ( single pole double throw) is turned off another
circuit is energized keeping the wipers on until a little ridge molded
into the drive gear wheel depresses a spring loaded switch that rides
on this gear. My guess is that there is nothing wrong with the park switch
or gear housing but you need to replace the motor.
Hope this helps

Randy
2   69 Spits