Re: Clicking wheels / good news

To: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Subject: Re: Clicking wheels / good news
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 07:47:50 -0700
Patrick,
The operative word here is "Dominant".  If the sound is there all the time, it
would indicate a likely U-Joint problem.  But if it is "Only" there on
acceleration (one clink), deceleration or braking, that in my mind would
eliminate the U-Joints as a source of the problem.

Further.  If you are under hard acceleration, it might keep the U-joint in an
attitude where the flex is confined and the sound is not there.  BUt as soon as
you reach a cruising speed and the acceleration pressure is removed from the
u-joint there would most likely be a constant (albeit lower volume) clicking
made as the joint rotates.

But my understanding of the symptom is that there is only a single clink on
acceleration and another one on deceleration (and braking), indicating that a
fixed rather than rotating part of the suspension is loose.

Regards,
Joe