tires

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: tires
From: david <engstrom@tstonramp.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 19:26:15 -0700
     I just bought a set of 175/70 tires for my 1979 spitfire and
mounted them on stock 4.5 inch wide rims (13 inch diameter). The tires
feel like jello. If I push the car to the side while standing next to it
it just jiggles back and forth. When driving it and steering from side
to side it just wiggles and waggles. Tire pressure is 32 lb. I am going
to try and return the tires - any suggestions? Would 165/80 be better?
    I have 6 inch mags with worn 205/60's that rub on bumps and corners
and have been advised to use 185/60's with them but I can't find anyone
local with these tires and I want to save some money and try the stock
rims for a while. But what tires can I put on the stock rims that won't
feel so mushy?

Thanks, David