Re: Driveshafted, Part 2

To: msp01091@isd.net
Subject: Re: Driveshafted, Part 2
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 22:40:11 -0400
Within the threaded cup that screws onto the sliding extension there
should be a thin flat washer with an ID that fits over the splined
piece (allows it to be installed), then a felt washer (soaked in oil
to keep dust out) then a thin spring washer (looks like a spring lock
washer, but quite thin and with an ID that doesn't fit over the end of
the splined piece.  This spring washer is the part that actually does
the retaining.

To assemble, the threaded cup and the flat washer are installed, and
the felt washer (all soaked in oil) is mashed over the splined section
into the cup.  Finally, the spring washer is fitted by twisting it out
of plane, placing over the splined section and mashing it back flat
and into the cup.  Finally, the splines are greased, the rollers and
retainers set in place, the female piece of the splined joint fitted
over the rollers and male piece, and then the threaded cup screwed on.

HTH.
Donald.