Re: Intakes

To: spitlist@gte.net, bschwart@pacbell.net
Subject: Re: Intakes
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 12:04:25 -0400
You'd have loved a set of heads I saw last weekend at a Ford show.  Super wiz
bang heads, selling for a gazilion dollars wit the biggest valves that
shouldn't have been fitted.  And I bet those heads generate 20% less power then
stock, or maybe worse.

The heads had been pocketed out until they were pretty close to a half inch
wider then the cylinder bore (a bragging point!).  Not being content with that
incredible mistake, they also included moving the valve guides out and having
the valves in those combustion chamber pockets, shrouding over half the
circumference of the valves (another bragging point!).  The pockets were
straight walled, so the valves could never come out from the shrouding.  Truly
amazing.  For the longest time, I couldn'f figure out of those heads were
supposed to be a joke.  They weren't, and the shop wanted many thousands of
dollars for them.