Re: Tire problems

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil
Subject: Re: Tire problems
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:26:20 -0400
It seems to me that there is something about the rear suspension geometry that
can cause one or both sides of the  rear end to rise and fall depending on the
direction of travel, and it has to do with toe in on that side.  I just tried
to see it by applying pencil to paper, but I'm not getting it.  This has
nothing to do with the rear end squatting when accelerating, that's a whole
different matter.

So, you may want to go in for a good 4 wheel alignment.  Don't just do a thrust
angle.  That just aligns the front to the rear, while leaving the rear
cockeyed.  You'd want a shop that can do all four wheels.  It's not tough, so
really just about any shop can do it.  I'd go to a speed shop, or one
recommended by a speed shop for one reason though.

You want to be sitting in the car when this is done.  I'm presuming your of
some size.  This weight has a substantial effect on the alignment of the
dimunitive Spitfire, especially with a rear end geometry like it has.  At the
least, you want a place that will allow you to toss your weight in cement bags
on the seat.  Though there's no reason not to allow you to sit there while the
technician works around the car.

As for the wheels, I'd be hesitant about shaving them down.  The thickness of
the center often has to do with how the spokes or webs are joined to it.
Shaving it can have catastrophic effects, with the center breaking away from
the spokes.  I've never experienced that, but everyone tells me it's not fun.
So examine the wheel carefully to see if you can simply shave down excess
material that's being used to create offset, or if it's actually structural and
load bearing.