Re: Tire problems

To: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>,
Subject: Re: Tire problems
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:18:21 -0700 (PDT)
Patrick,
the anti-squat geometry of the rear radius rods can
cause them to 'squat' a bit when backing up. Also
check your toe-in on the rear, this contributes to the
problem too.
As for fender scraping, I gained nearly 1/2" of
clearance by 'rolling' the fender lip under. This is
where the two panels are spot welded together inside
the curve of the wheel opening.
Take a good look at before you decide to do it. This
worked for me, solved the cleasrance problem with
racing tires.
I used a good heavy rubber mallet, a bodyman's dolly
and a hammer. Don't try to do it all at once, instead
bend at a little at a time, working your way around
the fender lip. After 3-4 passes, the lip will be
nicely rounded in, and out of the way. Also, since the
tire really only contacts at a few points, you can
concentrate on those. With a little care, you won't
even chip the paint, but a little touch-up paint to
prevent any rust would not hurt.

I would be very cautious about removing material from
the wheels. A broken wheel at speed will result in a
very bad day.

Good luck

Carter Shore

--- "Bowen, Patrick A  RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>