RE: RE: Tire problems

To: "'Nolan Penney'" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: RE: RE: Tire problems
From: "Bowen, Patrick A RP2" <PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 12:44:09 -0400
I will check it out.

Patrick

-----Original Message-----
From: Nolan Penney [mailto:npenney@mde.state.md.us]
Sent: Friday, June 16, 2000 12:53 PM
To: spitfires@autox.team.net; PABowen@sar.med.navy.mil

You adjust rear toe by adding or removing shims under the radius rod bracket
at the body tub connection.  Each side is adjusted independently.  But
remember, you can achieve a proper total toe number by having one side toed
out, and the other side toed in excessively.  On a solid axle car this would
just mean you crab going down the road, and we've all seen cars doing this.
With the independent swing axle, it causes motion problems on each side due
to the way the thrusts are acting with relation to the imaginary line the
suspension pivots about...I think.  Not going to swear to it because there
might be another line or two in that equation.

I believe all Spitfires do do this raising and lowering action depending on
if you're going forward or backwards, but I also think it's not supposed to
be dramatic.  Yours sounds dramatic, which is why I'm suspicious, doubly so
because it's only happening on the one side.

I'll agree that 165 lbs shouldn't rock the world, but it will affect
alignment.