Re: MOT Time...

To: "sdspitfire@worldnet.att.net" <sdspitfire@worldnet.att.net>,
Subject: Re: MOT Time...
From: "alemen@pop.ftconnect.com" <alemen@pop.ftconnect.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 12:16:08 -0400
Ken, last time I had an MOT done was about 10 years ago at least ( now that I
have been in the US for just over seven).

The MOT checks out brakes, tyres, lights (including headlamp alignment), seat
belts, controls, body integrity, etc., etc.

The thing about sills is that they are a part of the structure of the car. If
the structure is below par then theoretically the car's structural integrity is
weakened and the car is unsafe in the even of a collision.
I even remember that they has it on a rolling road last time I went. A pin hole
in a steering arm gaiter can cause a failure to pass. Someone who is still
there probably can tell more. I am sure it is more stringent than when I last
went. I also remember that my first car was a Mini and I had to get new sills
put on for that to pass the MOT and that was 20 years ago.

I was shocked to find that in my area (Portland, OR) all they did was emissions
testing. Even more shocked to find that outside the area there was nothing. And
all local standards, nothing federally mandated. Of course given the volume of
the number of cars it would be almost impossible to impose such as thing as the
MOT here. Also given the nature of the country it would also be vehemently
opposed as it would affect peoples rights - who cares about safety. (Note that
thsi is a personal observation and does not mean that those of you on the list
think this way, in fact I hope most of you would put safety first). Hey think
of it, a US MOT test - a big new industry, how many jobs would it create, how
many cars would have to be fixed up, look at the income and parts potential for
the auto industry.

For you folks still back in the UK, it's amazing how bad some cars are here.
They would definitely fail back in the UK or elsewhere in the EEC for that
matter.

On the other hand it's an ideal place for our older cars from that respect,
although I am sure most of them are better than a lot of the other cars on the
road here that are not even half the age due to the attention we give them.

Alan